SOCIETAL RESPONSIBILITIES IN LIFE SCIENCES
CHARLES SUSANNE (Free University, Brussels, Brussels, Belgium)
2004• Pages: 400. Size: 180x240• Binding: Hard•
PRICE: US $ 75/-RS. 1450/-
(Human Ecology Special Issue No. 12)
The development of biotechnologies, as the contemporary technological progress in general, not always holds in due consideration the interaction between Man, Earth, Animals and Plants. It is necessary, in our opinion, to develop, codify and divulge new ethical conceptions exceeding the economic approach between Man and Nature. If the scientist does not want to reduce his part to that of a simple "technician", he cannot avoid asking questions of social, cultural and ethical nature : each aspect of the sciences (practical or theoretical), in fact, involves the problem of their use by society, of which the researcher is part. A new ethics which faces without dogmatism the problems related to the precarious equilibrium between Man and the other elements of Nature is urgently needed. Today, global bioethics may be able to mediate between opposing ideologies by providing a common ground in health care, earth care and long-term survival: we need a global bioethic that will help the future generations to survive. This book aims at implementing research and education on the ethical problems risen by the ongoing developments in the Life Sciences and Technologies. It is a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary work resulting of fundamental and applied reflection on bioethical problems.
- PHILOSOPHICAL ASPECTS AND SOCIETAL POSITION OF TECHNOSCIENCES IN EUROPE
CLAUDE JAVEAU: A Sociological View on Biology
ASCENCION CAMBRON: The Social Responsibilities of Scientists
- KALLI SIMITOPOULOU AND NIKOS XIROTIRIS: Public Understanding of Life Sciences.A Cornerstone For Today’s Democracies.
- KALLI SIMITOPOULOU AND NIKOS XIROTIRIS: Memes of Ethics – A Coevolutionary
Approach – The Case of Religion’s Memes
- BIOTECHNOLOGY / BIOMEDECINE /ETHICAL TRENDS
- DANIEL SOUTULLO: The Human Genome Project
- GIANFRANCO BIONDI AND OLGA RICKARDS: From Genome in Genome to Discover
- C. R. KEMP, D. WAWIZAK, M. METIOUI, M. HENDRICKX AND LUC LEYNS: Embryonic Stem Cells: From Research to Therapy
- DANIEL SOUTULLO: Gene Therapy, Yesterday and Nowadays
- MAGDOLNA SZENTE: Neuroscience for the Society; The Power of the
- CARLOS LEMMA AÑÓN: Some Problems of Legal Regulation on Human
Reproduction: The Case of Human Cloning
- CELIA PEREIRA PORTO: Abortion: Women’s Right ?
- MARIA CASADO: Genetic Choices and Social Responsibilities: Made-to-Measure
- FERNANDO DIAS DE AVILA-PIRES: Medical Ecology
- ENVIRONMENT AND MAN: FROM ETHICS TO POLITICS
ANGHELUTA VADINEANU AND RADU STEFAN VADINEANU: Our World,Our Environment. How to Protect Our Planet ?
- THOMAS HEYD: Environmental Ethics: Responsibilities and Critical Perspectives
- JULIE DE WIT, JIM LAFÈRE AND LUC HENS: Indicators for Sustainable
Development and Environmental Health Indicators for Flanders (Northern Belgium)
- JANOS TOTH: Social Responsibility in Pollution: The Case of the Tisza River
- MARTA I. SALONA BORDAS: Animal Rights ? No, Human Reponsibility ?
- HUMBERTO D. ROSA: Bioethics of Biodiversity
- MARTA I. SALONA BORDAS: Are We an Ethically Sustainable Species ?
A Reflection Based on the State of Our World
- PHILIPPE LEFEVRE-Witier: Responsibilities of Human Sciences Towards
Disappearing Human Ecosystems
- SOCIETAL PROBLEMS, SOCIETAL ETHICS
- AMELIA DE LUCIA: Human Migration and Social Integration
- ANTONIO GUERCI AND STEFANIA CONSIGLIERE: Ageing: From Bioethics to
- CRISTINA BERNIS: Ethnicity and Racism
- CHARLES SUSANNE AND ESTHER REBATO: Race, a Stereotype.
- PHILLIP V. TOBIAS: The Social Relations of Evolutionary and Other Sciences;
Six Historical Case Studies
- FERNANDO CASCAIS: Responsibility and the Role of the Press
- FIROUZEH NAHAVANDI: Globalisation and Homogenisation of Culture:
The Role of Mass Medias in Developing Countries
- XABIER BARRUTIA, ALFONSO DUBOIS AND PATXI ZABALO: Basic Human
Needs and Globalization of the Economy.
- WALTER VERRAES: Ethics and Biology: Reflexions of a Biologist
The Publishers Kamla-Raj Enterprises (KRE) have neither appointed any sole distributor nor have the publishers (KRE)
given any rights to anyone for KRE publications